Enjoy the spectacle and the beauty of one of the "pearls" of the two provinces.
The town of Orta
Descend the bleachers that are located near the new parking lots and the mini-golf to enter the village of Orta. Unfortunately nothing remains from the original nucleus which was founded by the Celts in pre-Romanesque times along the shores of the then Lake Cusio, but despite the fact that the inhabited centre has been rebuilt on the ruins of that ancient village, you can still seize among the streets enriched with shops, restaurants and bars, the structure of the medieval period, where some buildings testify this period. One of the buildings that most deserve a visit is the current seat of the Town Hall, Villa Bossi, accessible from a wrought iron door overlooking the central street of the town. This large residence is the result of numerous restorations and expansion works, carried out over the centuries by the various prestigious families who owned it. Currently the oldest still visible part dates back from 1600; it should be the portico at the entrance, but the villa wasn't always like that; once it was divided in different small buildings which were built very close to each other but belonging to different families. As time passes by Villa Bossi assumes the current structure. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to visit the interior rooms, now used as municipal offices, but the real pearl of this villa consists of the enchanting garden which extends towards the lake, becoming a terrace with a sensational view. A panorama that has attracted writers and artist, as evidenced by the bronze statue entitled "The perfect picture" created by the German Carl Heinz Schroth. In this much requested location, wedding ceremonies are celebrated more and more frequently. But before drawing your attention to the lake, it is recommended to turn your back to it en climb the long flight of steps that leads to the Church of the Assumption, the parish church of Orta. The churchyard of this church is made up of the entire square and the view, overlooking the roofs, reaches the lake.
One of the symbols of the town Orta San Giulio is without doubt the “Palazzotto”. It is located in the northern area of the beautiful Motta square, which used to be the palace of the universality of the province and is now the cultural centre of the town, home to exhibitions and the most important events.
Its realisation stems from the need to give a seat to the administrative activity of the San Giulio Rivera. The sovereignty of San Giulio was constituted in 1219 and given to the Bishop of Novara by the emperor (previously the bishop was its owner only and did not exercise political power). Orta becomes the capital of the so-called "upper coast", and Gozzano becomes the capital of the "lower coast" at the same time. There are several current municipalities which we can identify with the upper coast, including Pella, San Maurizio, Arola; Artò Centonara.
Part of the text is from: www.viaggiaescopri.it